An educational radio contact is planned with Green Bank Elementary Middle School, Green Bank, WV, direct via N8RV.
The ISS callsign is presently scheduled to be NA1SS and the scheduled astronaut is Mark Vande Hei KG5GNP. Contact is a go for Friday 7 May 2021, 12:35:51 UTC, 30 deg; downlink signals will be audible over parts of USA on 145.800 MHz narrowband FM; contact will be in english. Check for latest information on the operation mode . RX only! (Credit: AMSAT.)
Watch for livestream:
Proposed questions generated by the Green Bank Elementary Middle School students:
1. What made you decide to become an astronaut?
2. Is the ISS heated or do you wear bulky suits because it is always cold?
3. How often do you have to replenish the Oxygen tanks from earth?
4. Have you ever lost contact with The Base? What are you supposed to do if that were to happen?
5. What can you see from the Space Station that you can’t see from Earth? Other space craft, monuments, Earth patterns, stars?
6. If you have any downtime, what do you do with it? (e.g., hobbies, past times, fun).
7. What are you allowed to bring to the ISS and what did you choose to bring?
8. How do you solve problems with each other if you get into arguments?
9. Does your food go to the top of your mouth when you eat because of microgravity? Does it feel different to eat or drink in space?
10. What do you do about trash?
11. Is it possible for an animal to be pregnant in space?
12. Has there ever been a critical failure? What protocols do you have in case there is a critical failure, and do you have to do drills or practice what to do if that happens?
13. What are the emotional challenges in space?
14. How is your sleep or work schedule different in space than it would be on Earth?
15. How do you get news from Earth? Were you worried about COVID affecting your support system on the ground?