Packet Radio / APRS Status

Home Forums Amateur Radio Activities Packet Radio / APRS Status

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Kenneth Ransom Kenneth Ransom 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David OLIVARES
    David OLIVARES
    Participant

Hi, I’m F4BPP a radioamateur and teacher concerned by many educational projects with ISS.

My Website : http://www.f4bpp.com

I’m very worried by Packet-Radio status because it has been out of order for a month. I have worked with my students since last September to prepare Packet-Radio operations through ISS and i’m very disappointed by current Packet Status.

Does anybody know what is currently happening and when will it be operational again ?

Thanks for all replies.

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Hello dear David, first of all congratulations for your acitivities, I’m a teacher focused on space too and love very much educational projects concerning ISS.

About packet, many OM are reporting the same. Packet is shut down before EVA and near other events as launch and docking of Cygnus, Dragon, and Soyuz of course. On 6 May there was Space X 17 launch, docked on 7 May. Packet was shut down for the event and I think it remained off, waiting for the crew has time to set it on. Not sure- I suppose so.

David OLIVARES
    David OLIVARES
    Participant

Many thanks Micol. Happy and honoured to read you and I very appreciate your compliment about my educational projects.

As a ARISS member team, when do you you think I can expect the packet system to be turned on again ? Do you have the opportunity to contact the crew to save my one year project with 200 students ? 😉

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Don’t know when packet will be setted on again, it depends on crew, they’re so busy. On 27 May, David St Jacques has three educational contacts, he’s a great astronaut-radioamateur, reminds me our Paolo Nespoli. Two of these will be audible above Europe, the one of 16:31 UTC will be via IK1SLD ARISS TELEBRIDGE Ground Station, will you listen to? I will be there; also there will be the livestream and you can hear also the uplink http://www.ariotti.com

I haven’t the opportunity to contact the crew, but the site is at your disposal to share anything you like related to your project, send me and I’ll publish in a post with all credits to you; then, can send the link to someone that maybe can help. I think it’s always to try!

David OLIVARES
    David OLIVARES
    Participant

Hi Micol,

My educational project is to connect to the ISS BBS to leave a message to Thomas PESQUET whiching him “Welcome back on ISS”.

You can have a look at my video showing the same project I’ve made in june 2016 and that I’m trying to do again with my students with whom I already receive a live SSTV picture.

The link to my video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=363&v=AjbGGDW8qMU

The link to the last press review (in French) about my current project with SSTV live reception from ISS :

https://f4bpp.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=245&mnuid=338&tconfig=0

David.

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Hi David, great educational project!

I think I had seen the article about SSTV reception, maybe on the ARISS France social media accounts or Welcome into Space site , not sure. New SSTV will come soon, 5-6 June, I will try to receive and decode with my students too 🙂

Now busy- in a few I’m driving to Casale Monferrato, but will highlight your project.

73!

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Seems that APRS is working, I saw some posts in social media. Check it and let us know 🙂

73!

David OLIVARES
    David OLIVARES
    Participant

Hello,

Many thanks Micol, you’re right : APRS is back and I could connect to the ISS’s BBS but since signals are more weak than before, I didn’t succeed in sending a message. I hope signals strength will increase. However, I’m on the road for my my project. Next step, SSTV reception this Thursday with many students. A lot of work for me to prepare this journey.

Have a nice day.

73 and 88. David.

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Hello David, later let us know about your SSTV project. I’m preparing to receive, but I’m not at school during the orbits interested by transmission, so will do and share the day after. Good luck!

73+88, Mic

David Boult
    David Boult
    Participant

The RS0ISS packet digipeater was active at 17:11 UTC on the following pass from the SSTV event ending today using TH-D74 HT + Elk antenna + APRSISMO.

Operation has been  intermittent of late.!

73 de David G7HCE

David OLIVARES
    David OLIVARES
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I’m sad because ISS had the same issue with output volume for SSTV and we miss the pictures. All the students were disappointed. Let’s hope the Packet will stay operational so we can try to connect to the ISS BBS and leave a message for Thomas Pesquet Return. That’s my educational project. I know the team does not have time and don’t care about the Buletin Board System but at least, “we do it” and succeed the challenge.

Micol Ivancic
    Micol Ivancic
    Keymaster

Dear David, “We do it” is the right and only spirit! I think they care, but have very little time, living in a complexity we can not fully imagine. Sorry for SSTV issue, I totally understand student’s frustration. You have school on saturdsay? Tomorrow there will be a school contact audible above Europe. I listened to Alexander Gerst with my students: we don’t understand German and only the ISS callsign was clear, and Mond that is the Moon, but it was an unforgettable experience.

Kenneth Ransom
    Kenneth Ransom
    Participant

David,

The ISS packet system is having intermittent issues and has randomly been deaf, not transmitting or just beaconing. The replacement radios will not be on the ISS until 2020.

The recent SSTV activity was an experiment by a group at Moscow Aviation Institute. Unfortunately, the second day of their experiment had low audio issues. Seems they do these experiments every 3 or 4 months.

The Packet BBS is functional when the packet system is working. Unfortunately, the crew does not have access to the BBS and the replacement radios will not have a BBS function but packet (and APRS) will still be possible.

Kenneth – N5VHO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.